Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sarah Palin: Amerian Hero?

I have been at odds with my friends for some time about Sarah Palin, former Vice-Presidential candidate and now former governor of Alaska. While all of my friends (no exceptions here) were disgusted by Palin's populism, I found her public image fascinating. This is not to say that I agreed with anything she said, but she had charisma and style that has been unmatched in a national politician since the days of Ronald Reagan. She could tell you that you are a loser to your face with a huge smile and a wink and you would thank her for it. I defended her to my friends because I thought she was a much needed change to our political landscape. For better or for worse.
Her resignation last year left me with one word for her: loser. Ok, two words actually: loser and quitter. And yet...despite the fact that she is the worst role model ever for personal responsibility, American conservatives still adore Sarah Palin. They love her so very much that Fox News offered her a gig on their network to comment on current political events. Think about that: a governor who resigned half-way through her term because she had 'done everything she had set out to do' was hired by a major media outlet as a political commentator, as if she had something meaningful to say.
Despite being a quitter and a sore loser, she has continued to fascinate the American public. I think the continued attention she receives says as much about her media savviness as it does about America's apparent lack of critical thinking skills. Too harsh? Maybe, but Sarah Palin should be nobody's hero.

No comments: